Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Death of another freedom

Under this Labour Government, there have been many freedoms taken away or powers increased for the legal agencies in the UK.

On Sunday, there is a march to protest at the latest loss of freedom with a very badly drafted piece of legislation that comes into effect on Monday.

This is of course the ban on violent images that has been such a talking point amongst the BDSM and fetish communities.

The Consulting Adults Action Network are one of the many organisations that are showing public support against this and I, along with many others, will be there on Sunday to join the march against this as, not only do I probably possess many images that would fall foul of the legislation. In particular the following is of concern:

(6) An “extreme image” is an image which—
(a) falls within subsection (7), and
(b) is grossly offensive, disgusting or otherwise of an obscene character.
(7) An image falls within this subsection if it portrays, in an explicit and realistic way, any of the following—
(a) an act which threatens a person’s life,
(b) an act which results, or is likely to result, in serious injury to a person’s anus, breasts or genitals,
(c) an act which involves sexual interference with a human corpse, or
(d) a person performing an act of intercourse or oral sex with an animal (whether dead or alive).

Section 6b is so vague to make it almost a catch-all for any image that may involve many of the fetishes I adore such as needle play, flogging etc. Indeed, everything I have a picture of would seem to be fall into 6b.

I urge anyone from the UK to join in this and voice concern over this piece of diabolical legislation

No comments: