Thursday, 21 August 2008

I like leather/latex.. so what?

Am I wrong in saying that I have no objection to the association of fetish wear and a Mistress? Or, as some are saying, I have been poisoned by a male dominated pornography industry that seeks to stereotype the fetishistic men have of a dominatrix?
Is this image wrong? Is the person in the image just kowtowing to the majority, i.e male submissive's who expect her to look like this? Is there a chance that she may actually like dressing like this from time to time?

IMAGE REMOVED DUE TO NEW GOOGLE GUIDELINES

with thanks to Nina Birch

Ok, so I accept that some may well say that she has to dress like that because she is a pro-domme blah blah blah. But I am fortunate in that I know the person in the picture well and happen to know she likes dressing in latex. So who is she pleasing? Herself or her intended audience?
It may be that all Mistresses should be like one I know who describes herself thus:
If you are into skinny teenage girls in rubber dresses, I am not the Domme for you. If you like mature, sexually attractive, confident and assertive women, then we may well get along well.
I do not dress up in rubber, leather or PVC garments in my Domination sessions and make no apologies for it. It is not that I can’t be bothered to make the effort. It is simply that I don’t like those clothes. They don’t suit me and wearing them detracts from my pleasure. Those clothes reflect a fetish (which in my case does not exist) and bears no relation to my desire and capacity to dominate men.
During sessions I wear ‘normal’ clothes. Typically longish skirts, blouses which show off my voluptuous figure and shoes of normal height and style.
Are either correct or is one more correct than the other? Is there a right and a wrong and if there is will it ever change the way most people think of a dominatrix other than dressed as above? The caricature of a Miss Whiplash, standing legs apart, whip in hand, booted and tightly corsetted will always be there, due in part to the mainstream and tabloid press perpetuating that image. But, there will always be those who dress that way because they want to and feel no pressure when they do so.
I understand and in a huge way accept the arguments from Bitchy Jones that there should not be am expectation from anyone that this is the look to be desired. But the argument is not that simple and clean cut and never will be all the time people actually enjoy dressing up for their own pleasure as well as the pleasure of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe there is a fundamental idea that is forgotten: Individualism. Yes, some enjoy wearing this type of clothing. Others do not.

A person has to find what works. I do not share in that particular fetish myself, so I don't wear it. If you, however, enjoy wearing and seeing women in this sort of thing, why not seek out those that share your fetish? I see nothing wrong with that.

Of course, I could be the odd duck. Much like Bitchy, I do not like the objectification of women in order to make a buck on fetish sites, books, et cetera. I am realistic, though. I recognize that it will continue and you can either rail against it, ignore it and/or disassociate yourself from it.

Personally, I chose to live my kinky life outside of the boundaries that some think are de rigeur. It makes for a much happier me.

Hallo, I love your blog. A bit backwards this, I know.